Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Writer Hibernates

I have a confession. I know that most people, at least in cooler climates, don't love January and February. I do. As a writer, they're my most prolific months. And probably my most creative. I'm like a bear in hibernation. I can go days without leaving the house where I have my office. I've been known to still be wearing my flannel pj bottoms at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.  I get up in the morning, make my tea, chat with my mom, (also a writer) read my email and then I get to work. My normal writing schedule is Mon-Fri 9-5, but in January and February, I often write on Saturdays and Sundays. I also write into the evening. I can skip meals and my yoga class.  After the hustle and bustle of the holidays, the cold months are my down time, which oddly enough, become my up time. I feel as if I recharge my creative batteries in the winter. While friends and family complain about the lack of sunlight, and bitter days, I secretly wish it would stay dark and cold a little longer. And I could stay inside my cave. 

1 comment:

  1. Colleen, I totally agree with you. It's nice to stay indoors in this brutal weather, and we always have our characters to keep us company. And we always have deadlines to rev our engines!

    ReplyDelete