Friday, July 11, 2014

And Just Like That . . .

So finishing a book feels wonderful, which means that starting a new book should feel awful, right? Sort of.

I started my new book last week. And let me tell you, those first days can be overwhelming . . . and sometimes terrifying. What if I'm all out of words? Or good ideas? What if the characters I wrote about in the outline for the book don't come to life in my head? Worse, what if they don't come to life on the page? 

Still, midst all the fears and angst, there's this tiny flutter of excitement inside me. I have a new story to tell. New characters to meet. I think about them day and night, watching their story unfold, trying to figure out which parts to share with the reader. I spend a lot of time coming up with ways to delay sitting down at my computer (like many writers I know) but when I finally read my email and make the choice NOT to check Facebook or order something online, I find that I'm eager to read what I wrote the day before. I'm eager to write the next couple of sentences, paragraphs, scene. And once I get going, the words really do come.

At least they did today. We'll see what happens tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment